Sorting & Rehousing the Study Collection

Sorting & Rehousing the Study Collection

This week, one of the graduate interns and I started to sort through the study collection materials. It was nice to review process identification and be able to look at more examples. For this project (which most likely won’t be completed in the time of my internship), we are tasked with sorting by process, rehousing, and then creating a finding aid.

IMG_0307.JPG

IMG_0310.JPG

In addition to sorting, I learnt how to make an individual archival enclosure. I focused on the collection of daguerreotypes, which are very early photos. Of course, I didn’t get very far because making these enclosures is hard when you haven’t done it before.

IMG_0323.JPG

IMG_0312.JPG

The tools I used included: a ruler, box cutter, bone folder (helps makes creases), scissors, a self-healing mat, and card stock.

IMG_0316.JPG

First try, so close…

IMG_0318.JPG

Second try: better but still not quite there…at least it closed this time?

IMG_0320.JPG

I was also introduced into the archives section of my internship this week. I again attended an OLLI lecture this week. This time it was about the research services that the CCP provides. Emily, the CCP Librarian, is my co-advisor and she gave me an introduction to how one becomes an arts librarian. I’m excited to continue the study collection project and start my own internal CCP Photographer Project next week.

Advertisements

One thought on “Sorting & Rehousing the Study Collection

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s