I spent the majority of this week working on polishing my presentation. I have realized that I have a lot of pictures from along the way that I have to sort through. I also spent a couple of hours at the beginning of the week helping Sharon make some modifications to her website.
That’s all for now, I am just continuing to practice my presentation!
Last weekend I finished up the binding of my quilt, which took approximately 12 hours to attach by hand. This process was definitely tedious, but I am happy with the results! This week I was originally scheduled to work with Peggie again on my quilt label and on rust dyeing, however she had a change in her schedule and was not able to work with me. Instead she offered me instructions for how to make and apply a quilt label, which I completed on my own. I first tried to embroider my label, which is my name and the year, with my home sewing machine, but the machine decided it did not want to work with me. Instead I typed up the same information on my computer, and printed it onto iron transfer paper. I then ironed it to a piece of pink fabric, and stitched it on to the back of my quilt. I will not be sharing a picture of this as it contains my full name. And with this label, my quilt is officially done! I am excited to have finished off my first full quilt.
Over the course of this week, I also worked on writing my presentation, and I have all of my materials and information written out. My next step will be to compose my slideshow presentation, and then get to practicing!
I am nearing the end of my project now, and am beginning to focus more of my attention on my presentation. Today I attented my last FASA meeting and presented about what I have created in the last month. Members had some very beautiful work to show as well.
I will be finishing up my binding over the next couple of days, and I will be switching to weekly updates from now on. See you next week!
In order to bind my quilt, I went and worked with FASA member Peggie. The first step in the process was to trim the excess batting(the fluffy material inside a quilt) and backing off the quilt. After that I cut strips of the backing to use for the binding. The binding strips I used were 2.5 inches wide, and I had approximately 300 inches of strips cut. The strips needed to be made into one long strip, so I sewed the ends of the strips together as in the picture below.
I sewed across the diagonal green line that I marked, and then trimmed the excess off each seam before pressing the seam flat. I then had to fold and press the binding strip in half . I learned a trick to make this easier: place a pin into your work surface that fits the height of fabric that you want. The fabric can then be pulled through the opening that this pin leaves to ensure that your fabric is consistently folded.
Once the binding strips were ready, I sewed them onto the edge of my quilt top. At the corners of the quilt I had to create a fold of fabric that will create an even corner later.
Next I retrimmed the excess off the quilt, leaving about a quarter of an inch of batting behind. What I have to do now is fold the binding to the back of the quilt and hand sew it into place. I’ll keep you updated!
I was back at Joanne’s today, and I worked on creating some more stenciled and ink printed designs.
Yesterday I worked on gluing together a 3D collage of sorts, using materials with different textures.
I had a misunderstanding and though that I would be using this collage like a rubbing plate, and would be apply paint to the fabric while it was on top of the collage. Instead paint was applied directly to the collage, and then it was printed. This difference in what I believed was going to happen resulted in some of the areas of th collage not printing very well, as there were areas with sizable height differences. Below is the print of the top section of the collage.
After working on this, Joanne showed me how to draw into styrofoam board to get a print. I simply drew the lines of the image I wanted to print, which was my motif, and then rolled ink onto the board.
In the afternoon, I made some more stenciled pieces. In the piece below I used a rubbing plate for the center square, and stenciled the surrounding leaves.
Yesterday I was able to finish both of the blocks that I started at Sharon’s.
Today and Friday I am working at Joanne’s studio, where I am working with different paints on fabric. Today I made a couple of marbled pieces using drops of concentrated dye and shaving cream. I also created a rubbing and a stenciled design using oil paint sticks and a paint brush. to create a rubbing you place a textured object beneath the fabric or paper that you are working on, while a stencil is placed on top of the fabric.
Through the end of this week, I will be working in the studio of Sharon Nemirov, who is a member of FASA.
Today I worked on creating a block for my quilt using a raw edge appliqué. This means that the cut edges of the pieces are not covered like in a traditional appliqué piece. For this technique I used a fusible stabilizer, which is a stiff fabric that has glue on one side. I ironed this onto the fabric I decided to use, and then cut the shapes that I needed.
Next I will need to pin the pieces into place and then I will stitch them down with a thick satin stitch. This is the layout that I have so far: